Feb 16, 2009

Chicken with Cashews {Slow Cooker}


Ingredients
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 cups baby carrots
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
5 tablespoons soy sauce {variation: ginger flavored soy sauce - which I couldn't locate at our local store, so I just used regular soy sauce}
8 ounces snow peas, trimmed {variation: I used frozen peas since I plan my meals ahead of time and didn't dare waste fresh snow peas}
2 cans, 8 ounces each pineapple tidbits, drained and 2 tablespoons juice reserved
1 sweet red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced and cut in half
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup roasted cashews
3 cups rice

Directions
1. Stir together chicken, carrots, broth and 3 tablespoons soy sauce in slow cooker. Cover and cook for 3 hours on HIGH or 5 hours on LOW.
2. Remove cover and stir in snow peas, pineapple and red pepper and cook an additional 20 minutes.
3. In small bowl, stir together remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons pineapple juice and cornstarch. Stir into liquid and other ingredients in slow cooker. Stir in cashews and cook an additional 10 minutes or until liquid has thickened. Serve over rice.

I have to say this is my new favorite. As for the pineapple, my husband detests it and I asked him to just take a bite with some pineapple {as the rim of his plate is lined with picked out pineapple} and his reply was "not bad, not bad at all". So all of you non-pineapple lovers give it a try! Recipe courtesy of Parents.com.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...